How to?

Access legal advice

If you have a problem that you need help with, you may need legal advice to resolve it. You can get help from a legal adviser who specialises in your problem such as a solicitor or there are many other organisations who may be able to help you.

Legal advisers are people who are trained in the law to help you with your problem. There are many types of legal advisers including solicitors, legal executives and barristers.

If you need legal help or advice to sort out a problem, it's not always necessary to consult a legal adviser. You may be able to deal with the problem yourself or with help from your local advice centre.

This could be free help from your local Citizens Advice Bureau, a housing advice centre or a law centre near you. Some advice centres, such as law centres, are staffed by solicitors and other specialist caseworkers, and can offer free legal advice.

Even if you do need professional legal advice, getting help from your local advice centre may be a good place to start. An adviser can help you decide whether a solicitor or another legal adviser is actually needed. They may also be able to refer you for further specialist help. This may include:

  • assistance from a specialist organisation
  • free legal advice
  • help with your court case.

You may also be able to get legal advice from other professionals such as accountants or other organisations such as trade unions and motoring organisations.

If you do need a legal adviser, you should choose one who has experience in the appropriate area of law.

Please note, that with some kinds of problems, it can be quicker, cheaper and less stressful to use mediation, arbitration or an ombudsman scheme.These are ways of resolving a legal issue without going to court also called alternative dispute resolution.

For more information on this matter, please visit the 'Citizens Advice Bureau: Do you need legal advice' page, found in our links and downloads section below.

Links and Downloads

  1. Citizens Advice Bureau: Do you need legal advice

    Added: 05 March 2015

    Visit here

Are you looking for help as a victim of crime?

Search our organisation directory

To be directed to the Victim Care Unit

Call: 01392 475900


Victim Care

The Victim Care Unit refers victims with their consent only to the Organisations that display this badge

I do not want to report the crime to the police but I still want support:

Call: 0300 3030 554