Help and Support

Find out more about this section by clicking the headings below

Victim Support provide free and confidential support. Victim Support is a charity and is not part of the police. 

If you live in Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly you can contact Victim Support for information and advice, using a live web chat 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

If you can’t get the online chat to work properly, please try a different browser for example Google Chrome. 

You can also contact Victim Support on Freephone 08 08 16 89 111. Find out about other ways to contact Victim Support, including if you are deaf or hard of hearing. 

At the Victim Care Unit we give information and advice to anyone who has experienced crime in Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. The unit works with people who have experienced a crime and who have reported it to the police, or who want to report something to the police. 

You can call the Victim Care Unit on 01392 475900.

Textphone/Minicom Number: 18001 01392 475900

SMS/Text number: 67101 (for Deaf, hard of hearing, speech impaired only)

If you want information and advice without getting the police involved, help and support is still available.

You can contact Victim Support who are a charity and not part of the police 

Check out other support services near you in the 'Find an organisation that can help you' section below.

Unsure what type of service you need?

Sometimes it can be hard to know what you might need to help you cope, recover and feel safe again. The staff at the Victim Care Unit can help you choose what services you might need, and then help you to access those services. 

Why are only some services featured on this website?

The services on this website, and those used by the Victim Care Unit, are ones that are given funding by the Police and Crime Commissioner so that they can support people who have been affected by crime in this area. This is called the Victim Care Network. That doesn’t mean that other local and national services aren’t available. Find out more under About Us.  

This website only contains services that are part of the Victim Care Network. You can contact any of these services yourself for help and advice. 

If you’re not sure what type of service you might need and want to talk to someone you can phone the Victim Care Unit on 01392 475900. You can also contact Victim Support for information and advice, using live web chat.

Please search for a service based on the crime you've experienced.

If the crime isn't listed, or if you're not sure what type of service you need please call us on 01392 475900.

If you’ve been affected by crime and you’re under 18 you can get help and advice. 

If someone you know is hurting you and you don’t know who to talk to, or who can help you, you can: 

As a young person you have certain rights in law which means that you can expect to be treated in a certain way, and for certain things to happen when you report a crime. 

The Victim Care Unit helps people affected by crime to get the help they need, but we understand that right now during Covid-19 a lot of people need help with a lot of things. Here we have listed some places you can find help and support for things like getting medication you might need, or help getting food during Covid-19. This list is not exhaustive. 

Find out more about this section by clicking the headings below

Visit the Devon County Council website for information about local organisations and groups offering support. In Devon residents are being asked to use the local Council for Voluntary Service (CVS). For Exeter visit the Exeter Community Wellbeing website. For the rest of Devon find contact details on the Devon Voluntary Action (DeVA) website

Cornwall Council website provides information about services during this time. Volunteer Cornwall are coordinating help for residents. Residents who are isolating and need help can register with them. 

The Torbay Community Development Trust (TCDT), Ageing Well Torbay (AWT) and Brixham Does Care have set up an emergency coronavirus helpline for people in need of help because of illness or isolation and also for those that are prepared to offer help. The phone line covers Torquay and Paignton. The number is 01803 446022. Brixham Does Care can be contacted directly on 01803 857727. More information is available on the Torbay Council website. 

Plymouth has launched the Caring for Plymouth Support Hub. Caring for Plymouth is an alliance between the Council, Livewell Southwest and a large number of voluntary and community sector organisations and will ensure that the medically vulnerable and people without support networks are provided with emotional support, shopping, medicine collection and support with paying bills and accessing money. The phone number is 01752 668000 and people can also fill in a form.

To stay up to date with national information and advice about Covid-19 visit the GOV.UK website.

Find out more about this section by clicking the headings below

In an emergency always contact the police on telephone 999.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired you can: 

  • 18000 Emergency – Mincom/Text phone number
  • 999 Emergency - SMS/Text number

To register your mobile for the Emergency Text 999 service please follow this link: emergency SMS

If it’s too dangerous to speak in an emergency you can make a silent call to the police. Silent 999 calls are not automatically transferred to the policeIf you have made an emergency call but can’t speak (because you believe you will be in danger if you are heard), dial 55 when asked to do so by the emergency operatorFind out more about silent calls.

In non-emergency situations you can contact Devon and Cornwall Police using:

  • live webchat (follow the Chat Now link)
  • Email 
  • Fill out an online form
  • Phone 101
  • 67101 sms/text number for the deaf, hard hearing, speech impaired
  • 18001 101 Minicom / Textphone

Find out more about how to contact the police on the Devon and Cornwall Police website.  

To report a crime without having to talk to the police or give any of your details, you can use Crimestoppers.

Telephone 0800 555 111 or visit the Crimestoppers website to find out more. 

Find out more about how to report Fraud at Action Fraud

To help you keep a record of a crime that you have reported to the police you can use a Victims of Crime Leaflet.

On the leaflet you can write your own information, and it also gives advice about things like going to court, and what rights you have if you have been affected by a crime. 

Find out what might happen after you contact the police on the Devon and Cornwall Police website. 

If you have experienced a crime you have rights. Find out more about what they are on the 'your rights' page. 

If you are a business and you have experienced a crime you may want to contact South West Business Council for specialist support on telephone 03 33 44 21 33 or by email.

Businesses also have rights under the Victims Code

Crime prevention and other advice for businesses is available on the Devon and Cornwall Police website. 

Find out more about the Police and Crime Commissioner’s approach to Business Crime

If you have experienced rape or another form of sexual violence there are services who can support you. The staff in those services will not judge you and can help you explore what options are available and best for you.  You may want to talk to the police about your experience, but if you don’t you can still access help and support.

Sexual Assault Referral Centres
A Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) can offer medical, practical and emotional support to you if you have been sexually assaulted or raped. There are SARCs in Exeter, Plymouth and Truro. SARCs have specially trained doctors and counsellors to care for you. If you are considering reporting the assault to the police, they can arrange for you to speak with a specially trained police officer who can explain what’s involved. You don’t have to report to the police if you don’t want to.

At a SARC you can receive:

  • non-judgemental assistance and support for men, women and children
  • crisis support
  • forensic medical facilities and examination
  • referrals into other services for sexual health advice and emergency contraception
  • support for recent sexual assault
  • help in accessing support for historic abuse
  • Impartial advice on reporting to the police
  • A referral to an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor for practical and emotional support
  • Support through the criminal justice system
  • Pre-trial counselling for those going through the criminal justice system

To find out more about the SARCs and how to contact your local centre visit You can also telephone 0300 303 4626.

If you are thinking about visiting the Exeter SARC, this video will show you what to expect.

Independent Sexual Violence Advisors
Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs) provide independent support for women, men and children who have experienced a recent or historic rape or sexual assault and have reported to the police. ISVAs also provide support to those who have not reported their experience to the police but are still considering what they should do. The type of support that an ISVA can provide, varies from case to case. It depends on the needs of the individual and their personal situation.  You can contact the ISVA service on telephone 03458 12 12 12 or find out more at

Check out other support services near you in the 'Find an organisation that can help you' section above.